December 12, 2017
Kansas City, Mo., December 12, 2017. Kansas City Southern (KCS) (NYSE: KSU) has released its 2016 sustainability report, “For the Long Haul: Delivering Prosperity, Valuing People, Protecting the Planet”. The report is available in the Corporate Responsibility section of www.kcsouthern.com.
”While KCS is committed to creating maximum value for our stockholders, we also fully understand that to achieve consistent and sustainable financial success, we must be equally committed to protecting and enhancing the multiple environments in which we operate,” said KCS president and CEO Patrick J. Ottensmeyer. “KCS founder, Arthur E. Stilwell’s vision for the railroad transcended the purely commercial – it included the efficient design of communities, quality schools, libraries, hospitals, wide avenues, abundant green spaces and parks all very much aligned with the sustainability concepts of today. In the spirit of Mr. Stilwell, KCS is pleased to share this expanded report and our ongoing commitment to sustainable operations and community engagement.”
The 2016 report highlights include:
1. Strengthened partnerships with strategic development investments in the U.S. and Mexico;
2. Recognized that 86 percent of management employees in the U.S. and Mexico said they were satisfied working for KCS;
3. Installed more than one-third of the required Positive Train Control (PTC) technology – remaining on track to meet the 2018 goal;
4. Increased Operation Lifesaver/Alto Total public safety activities in the U.S. and Mexico;
5. Decreased employee injury frequency rate by 18 percent in the U.S. and four percent in Mexico;
6. Reduced greenhouse gas emissions by an estimated more than 32,000 metric tons; and
7. Created a fuel conservation team to identify opportunities and trends to further reduce fuel consumption.
KCS’ 2016 sustainability report follows the Global Reporting Initiative’s (GRI) latest standards for disclosing governance, economic, social and environmental topics. These standards provide for the disclosure of measurable data and specific information related to sustainability. KCS also surveyed stakeholders to determine sustainability topic priorities, all of which were addressed in the report.
Headquartered in Kansas City, Mo., KCS is a transportation holding company that has railroad investments in the U.S., Mexico and Panama. Its primary U.S. holding is The Kansas City Southern Railway Company, serving the central and south central U.S. Its international holdings include Kansas City Southern de Mexico, S.A. de C.V., serving northeastern and central Mexico and the port cities of Lázaro Cárdenas, Tampico and Veracruz, and a 50 percent interest in Panama Canal Railway Company, providing ocean-to-ocean freight and passenger service along the Panama Canal. KCS’ North American rail holdings and strategic alliances are primary components of a railway network linking the commercial and industrial centers of the U.S., Mexico and Canada.
Contact: C. Doniele Carlson, 816-983-1372