Secure rail freight shipping is the focus at Kansas City Southern
When you trust your cargo to KCS, we earn that trust by making sure your shipment moves safely and securely. We dedicate considerable human and technological resources to providing service you can count on.
To ensure safe and secure shipping in the U.S., our railroad police and canine units work closely with local and state law enforcement, U.S. Customs and the Department of Homeland Security.
In Mexico, we employ a multi-layered safety and security process, including:
- An extensive network of full-time and contract agents
- Canine units
- Guard points
- Guards on trains in high-risk areas
- Patrol vehicles
- 24/7 security desk to track data and trends and serve as a communications link
Other security procedures in Mexico include:
- Monitoring each KCS train from origin to destination through multiple security filters, which allows us to keep track of cargo conditions
- Passing trains through a VACIS scanning system at the Laredo/Nuevo Laredo gateway and the Port of Lazaro Cardenas
- Sending trains arriving at Saltillo and San Luis Potosi through a high-speed digital imaging system
- Monitoring train cars throughout the route using the rail inspection portals
- Documenting the condition of the freight and its seals upon delivery
Kansas City Southern is certified and validated in the Customs Trade Partnership Against Terrorism (C-TPAT) in both the United States and Mexico.