PSR Capacity and Fluidity Improvement – Phase 3 details
February 11, 2020
More consistent and on-time service. That’s what you, our customers, have been asking for and we’ve been driving to this with our PSR efforts. As communicated in early November 2019, we announced three phases to our rollout plan, all aimed at achieving improved service through greater fluidity.
Phase 1 was focused on eliminating unnecessary stops. We successfully launched this phase in November.
Phase 2 was focused on reducing pressure on the capacity-burdened areas in Mexico’s industrial heartland. This phase was successfully rolled out in December 2019.
Phase 3, with focus on improving our Intermodal northbound cross-border shipments and partner connections, is planned to be implemented on Sunday, March 01, 2020. We are pleased to announce that with the changes outlined below, estimates are that 85% of the Mexico northbound intermodal shipments in the markets indicated in the table below will see a marked improvement in transit time.
Below is a high-level summary of the Transportation Service Plan (TSP) changes related to Phase 3:
- Domestic US traffic from Wylie, TX to key Norfolk Southern Markets of Croxton, NJ; Miami, FL; Titusville, FL; Garden City, GA; Charleston, SC; and Rutherford, PA, will benefit from improved service consistency through the following change:
- Shift 3 days of DAAT2 (Dallas to Atlanta) service to the premium, more consistent, DAAT service.
- DAAT2 will continue to have service at the reduced schedule on 2 days/week (Wed and Fri) while the Premium DAAT will continue to operate 7 days a week.
- Those shifting to the Premium DAAT will see an increase of ~ 5 hours from Dallas to Meridian but with an increased improvement on the consistency of on-time service.
- All cut-off times will remain the same for all days of week, trains and destinations.
- For the Mexico Northbound business, a reduction in transit time for freight destined to Canadian National and Norfolk Southern, achieved through the changes outlined below
- Introducing a new dedicated train from Interpuerto to Jackson, MS (CN) and Meridian, MS (NS)
- Eliminating the stop in Wylie, TX and associated transit time and miles
- Rightsizing service frequency out of Mexico from 5 days/week to 3 days/week
- Reinstatement of previously eliminated trip plans from Mexico to Miami, FL and Titusville, FL
- Consolidation of northbound traffic to Kansas City (International Freight Gateway) and Houston (Kendleton) to improve operational efficiency.
- As a result of this operational efficiency maneuver, the transit time impact from KCSM’s three intermodal facilities (Salinas Victoria, Interpuerto, and Puerta Mexico) will be an increase of 48 hours to Kansas City and 26 hours to Houston. Northbound transit impact from Laredo, TX will be 24 hour increases to Kansas City.
- There will be a handful of other trip plan changes for services originating/terminating at our Laredo intermodal facility aligning to our current performance trends and objectives such as improved crew efficiency, reduced transit time and improved on-time performance.
For a summary of the cross-border and Laredo changes in transit time, please consult the table below and consult our Explore Shipping Options tool:
We recognize that change can be difficult and it isn’t without some adjustments. We are confident that the changes in this third phase will introduce additional positive service results for our customers. We thank you in advance for your patience and confidence as we execute these changes. Our goal is, and will always be, improving service delivery via on-time and consistent service.
Should you have any questions on the changes, please do not hesitate to contact your Sales Representative who is available to assist you.