In our commitment to keeping you updated on the Carta Porte program in Mexico, this page can serve as a reference for all materials and communications related to Carta Porte.
Carta Porte changes apply to all shipping companies (cargo airlines, trucks, maritime, railroads, etc.). This applies to cross-border, international and Mexico domestic shipments.
- September 1, 2022 - Carta Porte data will be required in your EDI 404 transmission
- September 30, 2022 - End of the Carta Porte grace period when penalties will not be enforced
- Per the SAT mandate, KCS will be requiring all shippers in Mexico to adhere to the new SAT commodity codes and requirements of this program as of January 1, 2022.
- SAT has issued an extension to the “grace period” where penalties will not be enforced until September 30, 2022, provided a CFDI-I with Carta Porta annex are filed.
- KCS customers can leverage both EDI and MyKCS to facilitate a seamless transition to the Carta Porte program. See instructions for both methods below in Resources.
- My KCS: Effective February 14, 2022, MyKCS users will be required to complete all the mandatory fields. Failure to do so could result in the inability to ship cars.
- EDI 404 / KCS Customers: Starting June 1, 2022, valid Carta Porte data will be required in your EDI transmission and missing or erroneous Carta Porte data will result in waybill rejections
- EDI 417 / Partner Carrier Customers: Continue to leverage the Carta Porte mapping tool as you make system changes on your end to accommodate the changes in advance of the September 30, 2022 SAT date. Once we have a definitive date for required fields, we will notify you.
- Southbound: On December 24, 2021, it was published in the Federal Gazette , the 2022 Foreign Trade General Rules requiring addition of “folio fiscal (CDFDI + Carta Porte attachment)” to the pedimento, will not be mandatory until March 31, 2022. Therefore, just as it remains for northbound cross-border traffic, the MX Customs Clearance (Despacho) process will continue to work through Rail Manifest (VUCEM) as it does currently. In southbound cases when the Carta Porte requires a pedimento, KCSM will receive it from Rail Manifest (VUCEM).
- Northbound: According to standard Carta Porte v2.0, a pedimento number is not a mandatory data element for Northbound Cross-border Traffic. The MX Customs Clearance (Despacho) process will continue working through Rail Manifest (VUCEM) the same way it works today.
KCS Customer Communications related to Carta Porte
7/21/2022 Carta Porte #20 – New Date for EDI 404 Validations
5/26/2022 Carta Porte #19 - New Date for EDI 404 Validations
4/25/2022 Carta Porte #18 - Waybills via EDI new date
3/25/2022 Carta Porte #17 - EDI validations on hold
3/23/2022 Carta Porte #16 – Waybills via EDI
3/10/2022 Carta Porte - update #15 – Introducing Chassis License Plate Look Up Tool
3/10/2022 Carta Porte #14 - Grace Period extended
2/28/2022 Carta Porte - update #13 - FINAL reminder Waybills via MyKCS
2/21/2022 Carta Porte - update #12 – Waybills via MyKCS as of March 1, 2022
2/11/2022 Carta Porte - update #11 – FINAL REMINDER: Waybills via MyKCS as of February 14, 2022
2/3/2022 Carta Porte - update #10 – REMINDER: Waybills via MyKCS as of February 14, 2022
1/26/2022 Carta Porte - update #9 - Waybills via MyKCS and EDI and new Carta Porte Resource page
12/29/21 Carta Porte - Mexican Tax Authority Waybill update #8 – New SAT info
12/23/21 Carta Porte - Mexican Tax Authority Waybill update #7 – New updates and clarifications
11/30/21 Carta Porte - Mexican Tax Authority Waybill update #6 - Deadline extension
11/12/21 Carta Porte - Mexican Tax Authority Waybill update #5 – Prohibited Generic Codes
10/26/21 Carte Porte - Mexican Tax Authority Waybill update #4 – SAT commodity code confirmations
10/14/21 Discontinuance of Special Billing due to new Carta Porte legal requirements
09/29/21 Carte Porte - Mexican Tax Authority Waybill update #3 – new date
09/07/21 Carte Porte - Mexican Tax Authority Waybill update #2
07/15/21 Mexican Tax Authority Waybill update
STC - SAT Proposed Mapping Tool
MyKCS Waybill instructions for Carta Porte
EDI Changes to support Carta Porte Regulations- INTERMODAL
EDI Changes to support Carta Porte Regulations- AUTOMOTIVE
EDI Changes to support Carta Porte Regulations- RAILCAR including HazMat
KCS Chassis plate lookup tool
Mexican Authorities Resources (Spanish Only)
Carta Porte SAT Web site
Carta Porte Reference Files (Spreadsheet)
TIGIE Tariff Rate Codes
Tariff Rate Reference File (Fraccion Arancelaria)
SAT Tariff Rate Reference File (Spreadsheet)
Federal Gazette 12/24/21
Federal Gazette 12/27/21
SAT Amendment to the Miscellaneous Rule (grace period extension) 3/9/22
KCSM will not initiate the transport of goods, nor receive them in interchange from other carriers, without having the necessary information from shippers that would allow KCSM to issue the bill of lading (Carta Porte) and the invoice, prior to the provision of the freight rail transportation service, including any service provided by third parties hired by customers and restrictions imposed by any Mexican Government entity. Our expectation is that our customers are also working to be fully compliant so there will be no risk of delayed shipments or additional fees or penalties. Shippers will reimburse and indemnify KCSM for any losses and damages caused, as well as for the cost and expenses incurred, as a consequence of the inaccuracy of the information provided to KCSM by them or by their representatives, including without limitation, for any detentions, penalties and fines determined by the tax and customs authorities.